Saturday, February 19, 2011

SLOW COOKER CHILI

As I have said before, I love my slow cooker!  Can't live without it.  So it was only a matter of time before I started experimenting with my chili recipe in the slow cooker.  The only problem with this recipe is that the key ingredient is not available in all parts of the country.  As a matter of fact, I can't buy it here in Florida.  It's called a chili roll, and if you've never seen one, you're going to take one look at it and say, "What the heck is that?"  Well, I'm glad you asked.  It's a solid roll of chili with beans.  If you are using it by itself, you just break it up in the pan, add a cup of water and let it simmer until it's done.  It is an easy way to make chili for someone who doesn't cook, or if you're in a hurry.  But it also makes a great base ingredient for a more complex recipe.  While I actually like it alone, I really love it with all the other goodies added.  So, here is my recipe for slow cooker chli.


SLOW COOKER CHILI
1 lb ground beef                                  1 Field chili roll
1 onion, chopped                                1 can chili beans
1/4 c. green pepper, chopped           1 can light red kidney beans
1 clove garlic, minced                        1 can diced tomatoes
1/4 tsp cumin                                       1 can diced tomatoes w/ green chiles
1/4 tsp chili powder                             1/2 c. Coca-Cola
1/4 tsp kosher salt                               1 c beef broth
1/4 tsp black pepper
Brown beef with onion, green pepper, garlic, and seasonings. 


 Drain.  Add to slow cooker with all other ingredients.  Cook on low for 4-6 hours.










Now, I told you earlier that the chili roll is not available everywhere.  The problem is that it is made (or processed, packaged, whatever) by Field Packing in Owensboro, KY.  So if you live in Kentucky and Indiana, you're probably in luck.  Otherwise, it seems to be kind of hit or miss throughout the South.  The parent company is Specialty Foods Group, and you can go to their website and check to see if it is sold in your area.  If not, do what I do.  Find a friend or relative in Kentucky to visit, and every time you go there, stock up.  I buy several at a time and freeze them while I'm there and then double wrap them.  If it's a road trip, they go in a cooler in the trunk.  If I'm flying, I quadruple wrap them and put them in my suitcase.  They're fine for a 2-3 hour flight, maybe more.  Obviously, this works in reverse, as well.  Anyone who wants to come visit me has to bring chili rolls.  We look like some sort of weird redneck smuggling ring.  "You know you're a redneck if you've ever been arrested for smuggling chili rolls."  Jeff Foxworthy, look out!  LOL

Oh!  I almost forgot to talk about the use of Coca-Cola® in this recipe.  If you can only find the regular stuff made and bottled here in the U.S. with corn syrup, go ahead and use it.  It's not the end of the world.  But if possible, anytime I say I'm using Coca-Cola®, I mean those little bottles from Mexico.  They still use sugar down there, like the good Lord intended.  It does make a difference.  I  have found them at Wal-MartWinn-DixiePublixKroger, and Bravo.  So they're not too difficult to find anymore.  

Before I forget it, here's your music to cook by.  It goes along with my suggestion for smuggling chili rolls out of Kentucky.  : )


Okay, that's it for me today.  I've been a bit distracted while writing this; I'm also watching Kentucky play South Carolina.  GO CATS!!!!!     : )

So, until next time, HAPPY COOKING!  : )

There aren't enough days in the weekend.  ~Rod Schmidt

TAGS: Slow Cooker

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love chili, but I love slow cooked chili best.I followed you from the foodieblogroll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this beef chili widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about recipes for beef chili,Thanks!

Merut said...

A chili roll?! For some reason I find that somewhat bizarre . . . yet convenient . . . yet weird. Oh well. I am in love with my crockpot too.

Unknown said...

It is bizarre, I admit! LOL Probably a Southern thing. But they have been making them for as long as I can remember, so I guess they sell well. Thanks for the comment! : )

Kim said...

I live right outside of Owensboro, KY and they have stopped distributing it here. We also use the chili roll as a base, and went to the store to get one and was told that for the time being it cannot be bought. Thank goodness I had one in the freezer.

Unknown said...

Kim--
I can't stand this! I was planning on bringing home a cooler full of chili rolls in November. Did they say if this is permanent? Thanks for the info, though.

p.s. If anyone is wondering, I have been on a blog hiatus due to personal issues, but will be returning to regular blogging within the next week or so.

wgaynor said...

The local stores have signs stating that the Chili rolls will be available in Owensboro on October 29, 2011.

Unknown said...

Thank you for the good news! With our annual Thanksgiving pilgrimage just around the corner, we'll be making a MAJOR run on Kroger while we're there.

Kourtenay said...

I love chili and I love my slow cooker too! Shame my hubs can't eat chili or I'd make it way more often.

Love your site, keep up the slow cooker recipes!

Unknown said...

Kourtenay - Thanks for your comment. My husband can eat chili, he just isn't that crazy about it. But he knows I love it, so he's nice about it (most of the time). LOL

AddThis

Pin It